nourish


 so the day came.  i did my dishes.  i emptied the food compost bin.  and i think the flies are on their way out.  good news for everyone.  today i started work late because i was doing the social.  my social was a photo walk in richmond nature park...so it wasn't too much work for me so much as an enjoyable evening.

i am in love....with roasted tomato and goat cheese tart.  i can eat it forever.  it's a perfect dish.  each bite is sublime and it is so simple.  i made it for dinner with honey garlic chicken wings and a yummy spinach and arugula salad with veggies and roasted almonds and craisins with a red wine vinegar, honey, garlic dressing that we whipped up.  perfect dinner.  everyone loved it so much and that makes me happy.  i love to make really good food for the members.  it's just a way i love them i guess.  i was thinking about it after talking to one of the member who was just so happy after the meal, and it reminded me of when i was in egypt preparing food for bashir. it was just simple food but i remember how happily he ate it and how that made me happy.  he told me later "i know you put so much love into it.  i can see it while you are making it."  i hadn't thought of it before.  it's a simple thing.  but feeding people is a way to love them.  i get you, italian mothers.  i get you right here.

speaking of love, i love my friend mei lin.  i texted her the other day just wondering where i can buy bao (the taiwanese steamed buns).  and she just went out and bought me some and brought them to my house.  she amazes me.  she's been given such a challenge and she meets it with such faith and courage and positivity, and it seems to me that in the face of her challenge she has become strong.

it's raining again.  i hope my tomatoes will not get too drrrrrenched (mrs harris).  i love the sound of it.  the sound of rain is such a beautiful sound.  admit it.

anyways here's an unedited old pic of owen that i didn't know i had.





Comments

Jeannie said…
What about Canadian ungourmet cook mothers....don't you get they plan breakfasts, make lunches and suppers with love too?
Laura said…
of course mom, i didn`t say anything about being gourmet! that`s exactly what i`m talking about.
Beth-a-knee said…
Cute marshmallow head owen. I know what you mean bout cooking with love. I think that's why Ben's so happy whenever i make dinner (not often).and for fathers day and his birthday the way i spoil him is with food.